What is Lien Amount in sbi bank account?
Can you see the mark of lien amount in your SBI bank account? If yes then it is very important for you to know why this charged mark has been put on your account. So the first thing will be to understand what does this lien amount stands for and what the circumstances which are responsible for this action are. It is not only for the SBI bank account holders but also for the other banks as well. So irrespective of which bank account you are holding if you see that your account is having the lien amount then you should definitely contact the bank and know the reason behind it.
Meaning of lien amount
Lien stands for a lock that has been put on your account. When it comes to lien amount you should know that this particular amount has been locked by the bank for a specific time. After the amount has been frozen you won’t be able to withdraw it or use it for any purpose until the lock has been removed. The bank has the right of putting the lien on a particular amount or on the entire balance.
Reasons why the bank is putting a lien
- Most of the bank account nowadays are setting the requirement of minimum account balance. So if you are not maintaining a minimum account balance, then the bank will charge an amount as a penalty. If the account balance is much lower than the requirement of minimum balance then your bank will be deducting the cost from the account. If you don’t have enough money in your bank account to pay the penalty, then the account will be remarked as a lien until you are putting enough amounts for paying the penalty.
- If you have taken a loan and you have offered the fixed deposit or term deposit as the security against the loan then your account will be marked as the lien and you won’t be able to withdraw the money from it. Here the lien will be put on the account after taking your permission so that you are not trying to withdraw any amount.
- If you fail to pay the loan amount then the bank will be placing a lien on the account for that particular amount. So, most of the banks will have the right of putting the lien on the account. If you fail to pay the amount from one account, then they can also put a lien on another account under the same branch.
- If you are facing any issues related to draft or cheque on the account then the bank can easily put the lien of that particular amount until the issue is resolved.
- In many cases, the bank has the right of freezing the entire account or put up a lien on some specific amount. If you fail to pay the taxes or you perform any unlawful activity then this might hinder your smooth accessing to the account. So make sure you are paying all the taxes on time and submitting the documents to the bank in order to stop your account from getting frozen.
- Sometimes the bank software may generate some error and that is when you don’t have to worry much because it will be resolved by the bank itself. You will have to visit the branch or call the customer care service for quickly resolving the issue.
Another important thing that you should be aware of is, you are also capable of putting a lien on your own account. If you have a trading account then you can put a lien on the limit till which you want to make the transactions. If you are subscribing for the IPO then you can also mark the lien. This will help you to get enough funds after you are getting allot with IPO.
Can one draw the lien amount?
No, one will not be able to withdraw the amount which has been marked lien until the person is settling the dues. Till the lien is getting lifted one will not be able to withdraw or use that amount and all the cheques that will be issued from that account will get bounced.
How one can clear the lien amount?
After the bank is marking the lien amount in sbi one will have to put the needed balance in that account. After settling all the liabilities, the bank will then lift the mark of lien from your account. After the lien has been settled one can easily utilize the additional funds in the account. If you fail to settle all the liabilities that is the reason behind the lien then the amount of lien will be used for settling them. If you want to resolve any issue related to lien then you will have to visit the home branch and then ask the officials to do it. You can also call the customer care service of your bank for settling the lien. of you have any other questions or querries regarding this topic then you can read faqs in sbi official website.
How one can get back the lien amount
Due to any minor mistake if the bank is putting the mark of lien on your account then you can visit the branch and ask them to solve the queries related to it. All the issue will be resolved by the bank and they will remove the charge of lien from your account.
Getting charged with lien amount in sbi or any other banks is not a very good thing for any bank account holder because it will disrupt your transaction from that particular account. Moreover, if you fail to pay the money from one account then the money will be deducted from another account under the same branch and that is why it will help in money drainage.
If you are putting your account money as a safety deposit against any of your fixed deposit then you should ensure that your bank account is not charged with lien amount. As the bank has the capability of stopping the entire activity in your account by putting the lien amount so it is very important to ensure that you are not breaking any rules.